Sunday, August 31, 2014

What I've been doing for the past year


I've been chasing after this little guy for the past year, going to parks, Target, walks around the community, feeding, changing, and caring for him. I haven't done an official 'work' since the last post but here are some things that changed what I make.

1. Practicality
Now that I only have the baby's nap time and night time to myself, I make things that I actually use with sewing machine. Covers for tissue boxes, baby chairs, baby blankets, bibs and more. I re-make clothes I get from thrift stores to fit me, too. It fits my budget and makes life go smoother.

2. Gifts
It's so much fun to make gifts for other moms and their kids! I don't have a lot of money to spend but realized that what I can give is time and creativity, not something you can buy anywhere in the country. The only gift in the world for the people that I want to thank and give. I don't need my craft/art to be on display but instead serve a purpose in someone's life.

3. Leisure
Because I use most of my day taking care of this guy and another baby due this fall, I want some time to just be 'me'. I don't want to think about many things but just work with hands and make something to serve a purpose and make someone happy. 

I guess that's why even my illustrations and things that I make are shifting towards 'gifts' for my family and friends rather than just for 'show'. If it's pretty, it's nice but if it's only to show my skills, it doesn't serve any purpose. I want my art, and my life ultimately to serve purpose for helping and enriching other people's lives rather than to satisfy my ego or ambition. That, is really what happened to me internally after raising this baby for almost two years. Parenting made me realize how selfish and ambitious I was, and gently pushed me towards being there for others rather than for my own desire. Hopefully I can be of some help to those around me through these experiences  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment